It has come around again to the time of year when your air conditioning units are in full use due to the hot sunny days summer brings us. We all want to keep cool while enjoying the sun and therefore we have come up with a few tips and tricks to keep your home at the ideal temperature, the most important of which are listed below:
– Keep your air conditioning unit regularly maintained – If you keep your unit in good condition with regular checks it will mean that the system will be working at its optimal efficiency; saving you money and keeping you cool!
– Keep your thermostat constant – You may be one of those people who like to fiddle around with the temperature but this actually increases costs and makes your unit inefficient. The best advise we can give is to try and keep the temperature constant and if need be, increase it by a few degrees when you are not at your home.
– Ensure you have air vents – Air vents on the higher floors of your house (second and third) means that the conditioned air will actually reach these floors effectively and spread the cool air. This spread of cool air will provide a similar temperature all over your house instead of only having your bottom floor cool.
– Use Curtains and Blinds – During hot days you ideally want to keep your curtains shut and your blinds closed. This will consequently decrease the heat of the sun meaning you don’t have to rely as much on your air conditioning unit; saving you money.
– Switch off unused appliances – This is a major problem in many households with televisions and lights left on when they are not being used. These appliances actually generate a large amount of heat energy which is unnecessary if you are not using the appliance!
– Maintain your air filters and/or furnace –Keeping your filters clean and well maintained will ensure your unit runs smoothly as well as lowering cost as it is the main reason for air conditioning units breaking which entails a large cost to fix!
– Run your kitchen appliances in the evening – This may sound silly but running your large kitchen appliances such as the dishwasher, oven and washing machine in the evening can make a difference on how much you need to use your air conditioner. As they release heat, running them in the evening when it is cooler anyway will lower costs and strains on your unit.
– Keep your doors and windows SHUT – This is probably the main reason for an ineffective air conditioning unit. If you keep your windows and doors shut you’ll keep the cool air IN your house rather than letting it escape. I cannot emphasize enough how important this is. Please keep them SHUT!
As you can see these are just some essential tips to ensure your air conditioning unit is working to its maximum potential while at the same time keeping your costs and electricity bills down. Be sure to follow these tips to keep warm during the summer months and of course, enjoy your summer!